Explore the pros and cons of smart homes and plan yours like an expert
What to consider for the construction phase
When planning a home renovation or new build, there are numerous factors to consider. Here’s a narrowed-down list of the essentials.
1. Planning and infrastructure
Many devices and appliances can be automated for a more convenient and energy-efficient lifestyle. Which devices would you most like to automate–perhaps the light switches, window blinds or surveillance system? Get professional advice for an approach that is tailored to suit your lifestyle.
3. Smart blinds and shades
Smart window furnishings can be programmed to operate according to your preferences, including time of day, weather and light conditions. These help maintain a comfortable temperature inside your home, improving energy efficiency and lowering power bills.
Like other automated devices in your home, automated blinds can also be controlled through a phone, tablet or remote control, including voice commands via home assistants such as Google and Alexa.
4. Energy efficiency
Energy efficiency is a goal for many Melbourne homeowners. Fortunately, a smart set-up with devices and appliances like smart thermostats goes hand in hand with improved energy efficiency. You can easily monitor energy usage with real-time updates, allowing you to make immediate adjustments to reduce energy consumption. The less energy used, the lower your bills.
5. Integration of systems
7. Professional set-up
Setting up your smart home system is best done with the support of qualified and experienced professionals. They’ll be able to integrate your smart home system to work efficiently and effectively, without mistakes and costly errors.
What devices can be integrated into smart homes?
Pros and cons of smart homes
Smart home advantages
- Centralised control: Control smart appliances and devices through a single platform, such as a phone or tablet.
- Time-saver: Save time manually operating your devices or even physically waiting for the exact setting or control, such as the proper water temperature for a shower.
- Save energy: Use power more efficiently with smart technology, helping to save energy and lower your electricity and gas bills.
- Improved security: Achieve real-time control to keep your family safe, from motion sensors and CCTV through to smart doorbells.
- Accessibility: Those with limited mobility and elderly people can benefit from the easy control systems available at the touch of a button.
- Better quality of life: Smart technology enables a comfortable and convenient lifestyle to support people of all ages and abilities.
- Property value: Having a smart home instantly increases your property’s market value—a great advantage if you are thinking of selling or leasing in the future.
Smart home disadvantages
- Downtime: During internet connection issues or outages, your smart devices and appliances either won’t operate wirelessly, at optimum capacity or at all until your connection is re-established.
- Compatibility issues: Some devices are incompatible and do not communicate with each other, limiting their potential.
- Maintenance costs: Repairs and maintenance can cost a lot. If not installed or set up correctly, they can become more costly in the long term.
- Limited access: If you mistakenly lock yourself out of your home, your locks should have a battery backup. However, you may lose some functionality, like remote access, which can be inconvenient and time-consuming to troubleshoot.
Smart home retrofit: Is it possible?
A smart outlook with SOM Blinds
SOM Blinds specialises in motorised and automated window furnishings. We can help you choose, fit—or retrofit where possible—and set up smart automated blinds for your Melbourne home. When you choose from our extensive range of various internal and external blinds, shutters, curtains and awnings, our qualified team will easily install and integrate them with your home automation system. Send us an enquiry or call us on 03 9808 1807 today, and let’s chat about making your window furnishings work smarter for you and your lifestyle.